Monday, December 05, 2005

!@#$ Telemarketers!

I don’t know about you, but since the passage of federal do-not-call legislation in late November, I have been getting approximately six telemarketing calls a day. Thanks to my caller ID I don’t answer, but it’s irritating to hear the phone ring in the evening, and to clear half a dozen non-messages out of the answering machine.

The registry is not expected to be in place until 2007, but until then you might want to try registering in the Canadian Marketing Association’s Do Not Call Service here. I figure it’s worth a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain; we get a load of them as well. They're easy to spot when you pick up the phone and there's dead air. Say "hello" a few times and presto! Instant harassment.

I like to harrass back.

For example, with one call they asked if John Smith was available. I said "Sure, let me get him for you." Then I just put the phone down and watched TV.

Sure, it tied up the line. But it also tied up the telemarketer. For an HOUR. Persistent bastards.

Another fun thing to do is to repeat their questions back to them, shout profanities and generally demean them for their career "choice".

Sure, it ain't fair, but neither is tying up people's time and phone lines with stupid marketing pitches.

Which brings me to the topic of voice mail SPAM. What evil genius thought that up? "Sorry I missed you, but I was calling in your neighbourhood to let you know about an exicting opportunity..."

Uggh. Get Bent.